Today (26 June 2013) sees the launch of two reports from the High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition: #5 Biofuels and food security, and #6 Investing in smallholder agriculture for food security.
Report 6, according to its Foreword, calls for “a new deal for smallholders”, focusing on five components.
- conservation and enhancement of soil health
- sustainable management of all water sources and launching a “more crop and income per drop of water” movement
- extending appropriate technologies and inputs
- providing the needed credit and insurance
- ensuring assured and remunerative marketing opportunities.